Sunday, June 1, 2008

Ongoings of the Brian

For those of you who are wondering what is going on in my life . . . I will let you know!! So, since the joys of graduation (FAKE graduation, that is . . . The U likes to dangle the thought of being done in front of me for my last semester there), life hasn't been too crazy. Hence the lack of blogs. This is my life: work, sleep, eating. That's it. I'm working PT for a company called Clinical Consultants teaching classes at the Day Reporting Center for Adult Probation and Parole. I teach the convicts such fun as substance abuse (how NOT to do it), parenting (how NOT to screw over your kids), life skills (why their lives have been less that successful), and anger management (how NOT to let your fists do the talking). Honestly, not my cup of tea. I prefer to use my therapy skills to help people who are more invested in changing - and don't think they already have the world figured out (which, if that is the case, why are you seen as a danger in society). However, I do like the job. It's just not what I'd like to to long-term full-time (but being that I still can't get my higher license yet . . . gotta do something.

After about 2 weeks of near unemployment life, I found a Full-Time work endeavor as a temp at the Utah College of Applied Technology. I'm working as the Administrative Assistant to the President. It's a pretty good gig. They like me (would probably keep me if I applied . . . but being a secretary isn't what I had in mind when I went to get my masters). The office is located at The Gateway which is a pretty nice place to work. The company "gym" is just down the hall from my desk, so it's also nice to be able to spend my lunch hour exercising. I've decided that I actually find physical exercise quite easy to do when it's A) less than 50 feet from my current location and B) doesn't require me to get up early or come home late. I also LOVE the location because just a few weeks before I started there TRAX finished the extension so there is a stop right in front of the office. This means I drive only 3 miles to the Midvale Trax Station and then ride in comfort to downtown. I've already read 3.5 Narnia books in the 3 weeks I have worked there. AND BEST OF ALL, I drive the same distance in ONE week that I was going in ONE day when I was working between the U and LDSFS in Am Fork. Being that it now costs $50+ to fill my car . . . this is an incredible bonus. I'm supposed to continue working at UCAT for another week until my classes start (the ONE week of classes June 9-13) -- but I have the feeling I might come back after that week because I don't think they have found the permanent replacement yet. I'd be OK with that. As far as temp jobs go, I couldn't ask for better. If they don't need me back, I'll go back to the UTemps service and find something on campus to work at until I officially graduate. It's all good.

Other ongoings of Brian . . . a few weeks back we had a belated graduation party at the "Big House" belonging to our friend, Kenton. I had a bunch of my school friends and some of Julie's friends up to the house where we had a bbq. It was hecka fun. Memorable moments: A) my friends reactions to the "tour" of the MASSIVE house. It's like 9000 sq. ft. with such insanity as a hydrospa hot tub with built-in DVD/Plasma TV, ginormous theatre room, and mountain top views of the Salt Lake Valley and mountains. It's right next to the new Draper LDS Temple. B) Playing Rock Band on the very large projection system in the theatre room. HECKA FUN. I think that we'll have to go up for another movie/x-box party . . . It's nice to have contacts. :P

Update on the Spider Bites . . . they've healed. No horridly hideous wounds on my arms. However, there are still faint marks left. It actually looks like "track marks" from IV drug use. So, for a while I was wearing long sleeves at my substance abuse job -- didn't want my clients to think I had fallen off the wagon. I like to think of myself as a walking anti-drug campaign (probably not a very good one, though).

No comments: