Monday, June 2, 2008

Julie: "Let the sick kids die"

So, the other day Julie and I were hanging out with my good friend (and hopefully future boss) Chris. We chatted at home for a while (poor Chris, he always seems to come over when Julie and I are in "odd and possibly inappropriate" conversation mode - wait, we're always like this). Anyhoo, recently I have been frustrated that I still do not know of some really good "hole-in-the-wall" mom & pop restaurants to replace my old Utah County favorites (I have found that I'm not feeling the love for the chain places much as of late). Particularly, really good Mexican food. I'm also a bit bewildered that our downstairs neighbors (who both grew up in this city) don't know anything either. So, Julie researched into the restaurant down the street and we decided to give it a try (hey, if I can find an online coupon, I'll try anything - well, almost).

Salsa Leedo's = mediocre. The food was ok. The service was "meh." Some of the staff qualified as "skody" -- which is a good ole Spanish Fork term for trashy/ucky. I thought the food would be worth repeat (at least while I search for my new favorite) - but Julie was no happy. The server told her that the chile verde sauce was not spicy at all . . . and her mouth was on fire as she ate (sidebar: since chemo, Julie can't do spicy. It kicks her trash). I DID like the fact that the drink cups were almost big enough to fit 2 liters. I DO love my Pepsi.

After the dinner, Chris asked if either of us were interested in seeing the new Narnia movie. Well, Julie LOVES Narnia. So, heck yeah. We went to the theatre right behind the restaurant. Well, the first 30 min while in the theatre were ads. Mostly for Verizon. It almost was like a movie/advertisement. Kinda odd. Well, the last ad was for Children's Miracle Network. It was all warm and fuzzy "help the kids" "work miracles" etc etc. Well at the end, in her "not too quiet" voice, Julie did a big raspberry and enthusiastic two thumbs down. Now, I know that she has an old friend that worked there and was somewhat unhappy about their business ethics. However, the rest of the people in the theatre don't know that. They just know that after a moving, heart-warming spot encouraging people to donate to make miracles happen for terminally ill children, some wack-job crazy lady boo'ed it. She should have just stood up and shouted "Let all the sick children die! Who cares about them, anyway?! Survival of the strongest!! Wahoo!!" It would have had the same effect.

3 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

I love that story. It makes me laugh so hard.
PPHHHHHHHHTTTHHHHHHHBBBBTT

Cindy said...

Yes, I claim her as my child!

Dan & Ashley said...

That is a great story. I love it!