Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Is it Weird I Know This Stuff?

So, today is the saga of the iPod. This saga goes back several years. Somewhere about 2004, I purchased a used iPod on eBay.
It was a 2nd Generation 20 GB model. The really old kind that is massive by today's standards and doesn't even connect via USB. I used it for a while until I kinda fried it. I thought that I would prefer to connect via USB than Firewire - so I bought a 'converter' to allow me to plug it into a USB. I did this . . . and the iPod never connected with an iPod again. I realize this was not my greatest moment - actually, once I did it I realized the stupidity of the move. The iPod continued to play music and work otherwise - but no more adding music. :(

I later bought a 4th Gen 20GB iPod from a friend of a friend. Happy day. For some crazy reason, though, I kept the old monster iPod. I guess it's part of my family genetics -- we have a hard time throwing stuff away. It came in handy this past week.

My brother-in-law's 4th Gen iPod gave the iPod sad face of death. He bought a new Nano, and handed off his dead iPod to me. I saw a challenge - and accepted. Enter amateur iPod surgery.

I opened up the old iPod and removed the harddrive.

I then took the iPod harddrive from ancient iPod and placed it into the newer, but sad iPod. However, the older harddrive was slightly larger than the new one, so I had to do some hardcore squeezing to fit it into the new case. In so doing, I broke one of the internal latches - so the new iPod is sporting a length of tape around the top of the case. However, I feel this is a small price to pay for a fully-functioning iPod.

All said and done, I took two non-working iPods and created one fully-functioning iPod. When it came to naming the iPod, I decided that "FrankenPod" would be fitting. :P


Julie made a comment recently that my computer knowledge is not normal - especially for a social worker. Would this go in that category as well??

1 comment:

Vanessa Swenson said...

that is abnormal, but very, very cool