Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Am I THAT Pathetic??

So, I've discovered a new blog that I find amusing (well, I read about it on KSL - but I will still take credit). The blog is created by a fictitious Utah County Mormon airhead - and reminds me entirely too much of the S'Fork and my days at BYU. Really, I think it's an accurate picture of life down there.

Well, I was reading some recent posts and came across this one . . . which includes a shout out to Social Work. OK - maybe not a shout out. More like a burn. So sad. Recently I have been bemoaning the lack of money in my profession, but I try to keep positive. Well, now I feel that the universe is speaking to me. Yup. I'm a putz. I'm doomed to a low middle-class lifestyle forever. Awesome. However, I do find it completely hilarious that of all majors to belittle - she chooses SOCIAL WORK. Come on . . . Music Theater was taken??

I guess I can live with myself and chosen occupation. After all, let's look at the people in society poised to make changes in individual lives. Teachers, for example. Is there any career that is more closely linked to the future and success? Probably not. Do they get paid appropriately? Nope. Would the high-paid businessmen, lawyers, and computer engineers be where they are without former teachers? Nope. Sad but true. Then take Social Workers. Essentially we're paid to try to convince people to not kill self or others. I think that's pretty important. But, no - if you have mad talents at throwing balls and running across fields, then society thinks you're financially viable. I sense inequality.

No comments: