Monday, August 11, 2008

Who Needs the Transportation Dept?

So, if you're a typical citizen and discover a pothole or other issue with your local roads, you likely call the department of transportation or city or something like that. Well, my dad is not typical. Nope. No government agency can be counted on to cure his road woes as well as he can. If you find a pothole or other issue with the road, you mix some concrete and fill it yourself! Just to prove my point . . . see exhibits A & B.

Notice the sawhorse he set up to notify the passing traffic of his presence and keep cars off the wet cement. Orange barrels are overrated.

Whitetrash road repair?

I believe that he ended up using 4 1/2 wheel barrels of concrete to smooth out the area and keep from driving into a dip. Julie and I think that it might have been easier to just take the turn wider - but I guess that's not an option for my dad. If he wants to drive there, he will make a way to drive there. You better hope he never comes to believe that there needs to be a new road over your lawn and flowerbeds!

Also, for any who feel that a concrete patch on an asphalt road may be an odd choice - he's used concrete for more insane purposes. My personal favorite (and somewhat of a local legend) is to use concrete as an auto body filler. Our old Suburban had the rear quarter panels almost full of concrete. It added extra weight for traction in the snow - and heaven help anyone who might have hit that! Actually, he once ended up in a ditch and the Suburban came out without any dent!!

2 comments:

A.K.A. - Adam, Kasey, Ady said...

Wow, so I've heard of people who are the fixer-upper types but going out and fixing the road?! Actually I can think of a few places in the road that I would like to see et fixed, does your dad take requests?

Smelly Moose said...

Okay, this CRACKS me up!!!! Is this legal??? My dad is an inventive fix it himself-er, but I don't know if he would go to these extremes :)