Monday, August 11, 2008

Almost There . . .

I'm still unemployed. BUT - I have now cleared pretty much all the hurtles in my way. See, not only do I need a degree to do therapy, but also a state license. However, before one can get a license, they must take a national exam. But, in Utah, before one can take the exam, they must have the degree conferred upon them. So, for the past few months, I've been applying to jobs - only to hear "you're great, but we need someone with a current license." Argh.

So, just about one week ago, I got my degree conferred upon me. YEAH. According to the U of U, I was done. That gave me the green light to take my licensing exam. That I did last Friday. After a few days of stressing (mostly because I did not study much all summer like I had planned) I went in and tried to take the test confidently. With that said, I passed!! Wahoo!! Oh so very happy day. I promptly sent my license application to the state. When I got home, I found that my official diploma came in the mail (making everything just that much more real). Julie has already commandeered it and sent it off with my BYU diploma to be framed as a graduation gift.

So, now that the state has my license application, hopefully I will get my license within a week or so. Either way, now that I've qualified for the license, I should have more prospective employers bring me in for interviews. Speaking of interviews, I had one last week at the State Prison. It was slightly scary to be walking up to the building with high fences and razor wire on both sides of me. However, the interview went quite well. I was thinking that the Prison would be the bottom of the barrel for me, but I left feeling that I would actually like working there. That's scary. I also have an interview with a youth correctional facility this week. So, it's looking like there's a good chance I'll be playing with corrections in one way or another. :)

3 comments:

Amber B. Dutton said...

Oh, Congrats Brian! I am so proud of you and glad that its all coming together! I still say you should move out close to me and I promise to share you guys with Katie too! :)

Smelly Moose said...

Congrats and good luck on the job hunt!! Hope you get something you'll love doing!

~Bekahjo said...

Jealousy reigns supreme. I just started my MSW program this week and I basically already want to kill myself. Don't worry, though. I'm self-therapizing, even though I don't have a license to do so.

Would you need a license to self-therapize? Could you sue yourself for malpractice? Who would win?

It's late...